Friday 15 November 2013

A foodie's guide: Tokyo, top 15 dishes part 1 (Places 15 through 8)

As I've mentioned before, Tokyo was for me a mythical experience. But besides visiting the city of my dreams, I went there to experience, in my opinion, the most amazing culinary culture in the world. 
My friends and I had a list of things we simply must eat :) And that list was looong :) I have chosen only the top 15 dishes worth mentioning. so, here it comes - a foodie's guide to Tokyo, Top 15! 

15. Matcha tea
Well, matcha is, and always will be, a big no-no for me. It tastes like fish water. I'm sorry, but I cannot understand the appeal of matcha at all. But I'm also not very fond of green tea...





14. Takoyaki (deep-fried balls with octopus inside)
Takoyaki is... Well, I still have no idea whether I like them or not. I love octopus, I love bacon, and I love deep fried stuff. But takoyaki, which basically combines all of the above, is a one weird culinary experience! It is actuall gooey on the inside, and crispy on the outside. But it is street food, so whenever you are feeling hungry, go buy some takoyaki! ;)





13.  Soba noodles
Soba (蕎麦, そば) are thin brown buckwheat noodles, also known as Nihon-soba ("Japanese soba"). The taste... well, soba is really tasty, but the flavour heavily depends on what you're having with your soba ;)



12. Udon noodles
Udon (うどん) are those thick white wheat noodles served usually in a hot broth, or  in a Japanese curry. The same as soba - the taste depends on the broth ;) I had hard time deciding, which noodles style I liked better ;)




11. Ramen noodles
Noodles in Japan, whether it's ramen, soba or udon, they are the best! I have never tasted anything that rich and flavourful as noodles in Tokyo. Well, besides Italian pasta. Because Italian pasta is awesome ;)
Ramen (ラーメン) are those thin light yellow noodles served in hot chicken or pork broth with various toppings. They are of Chinese origin, but actually are the most popular in all Japan!




10. Tempura veggies
I honestly think tempura should be an obligatory way of serving veggies! Even if you take the most boring veggies in the world (cauliflower, anyone?) and deep-fry them in tempura batter, they WILL taste  better!


9. Bentō
We have never tried an awesome looking bento set you see in photos. I guess in order to get one like that, you need to have a Japanese mother ;) we only tried the plain looking bentos from supermarket. They were inexpensive, relatively tasty and easy to carry around. But I still prefer onigiri ;)



8.  MOS Rice Burger
That was actually a surprise on our list. I was in Japan with two Americans, and when I told them there is q burger joint on my list, they basically told me I'm crazy. But we went to MOS for a rice burger and t actually was an awesome meal! Even though MOS is a fast food restaurant, it is so unlike McDonalds, it will satisfy even the most picky eaters! And they have shrimp burgers, so it is heaven on earth when it comes to fast and cheap food :)






To be continued!!! 

0 komentarze:

Post a Comment